Search This Blog

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Genuine Caroline County Grown Pumpkins


A few years ago, I got into the new wave of pumpkin carving and collected all those wonderful new tools to do the intricate designs. I had great fun lining the walkway with my art work BUT it took forever!  Then I had to throw my pumpkins away without using all the good stuff inside!  Pumpkins are truly a "superfood" and I like to use them (and their cousins)for all kinds of baking this time of year.  They provide a huge list of vitamins and minerals that we need for good health even if it is hidden in a bit of brown sugar. This year I made the yearly trek to Beazley's, located on 301 south and decorated without carving..... or almost.  There is one great big Jack O Lantern on my front porch to light the way!  

My "ingredient" list for these includes...... Halloween Appliques for clothing (pick them up at the end of the season on the sale counter in Michaels or JoAnns) I also used Chalkboard paint which is all the rage right now on the black pumpkin with a chalk paint pen. His eyebrows are stick on gems you can find at any craft store. The leaf appliques on the white pumpkin are also stick on and can be found in the scrap booking aisle.  The Witch and the Boo Applique are the traditional sew on kind so I used glue BUT if you want to reuse your appliques, pin them in your pumpkin with small gold pins and remove when you are ready to cook. The itty bitty pumpkin has a glued on window cling face which is kind of cool because it wrinkles up but his glittery lid is made from a special kind of glitter bead dusted on the top around his stem made by myart.com, which comes in little vials.  These are miniature gold star beads, on his lid and are very tiny.  The velvet pumpkin sleeves on the tall pumpkin  is by Martha Stewart, under $10.00 and three to a bag.  Adding a little Moonlight, this pumpkin is sprayed on the top with simple silver glitter paint and finished off with a dime store spider. The little broom has small Halloween buttons glued on and is tied on the stem with a bit of gold twine. The ribbons are from my scrap pile and are glued on with a product I always use for these projects, as its mistake proof!  It grabs right away and dries crystal clear, Beacon 3-1 Advanced Craft glue.  







No comments:

Post a Comment